Friday, November 03, 2006

The deadly bay leaf...















CONGRESSIONAL CEMETERY AT NIGHT

The Mags, Els, Andrew and I jumped into the Lean Green Kiwi Machine (LGKW) and headed down to Congressional Cemetery for a jaunt. It was late, but with a full moon shining and the DC Jail flood lights reflecting off the tombstones, there was a small strip of this historic 32 acre plot to walk the monsters. Yes, that is right. I am walking my dogs at night in a cemetery. Now you might be wondering why I would go to a cemetery to walk my dogs. But this is not as uncommon in this city as you might think. Though I will admit, the young and upwardly mobile are not exactly out at this time throwing sticks and balls to their dogs...no indeed,they're too busy swilling drinks and dropping names at local hill establishments.

Anyway, after our walk I headed down to 8th street for a bit of Indian food. 3dogs chewed bones in the LGKM (it's fall folks, and the temps were in the low 40s so no one was overheating), while I went in to enjoy a bit of Saag Gosht, raita, naan and red wine now known for its effects on fat and longevity. So I'm savoring all these spices and flavors when all of sudden I'm spitting out half of a bay leaf. Now if memory serves me right, I was told that eating whole bay leaves could kill you. I can hear my mother's voice, "always remove them from sauces and stews." I'm not sure where this idea came from but I did not just make it up on the spur of the moment. Or in the case, on the spit of the moment. But I'm beginning to think that this is not true. I mean, why would we season our food for hours on end with something that might kill us?

another Saag Gosht recipe




2 comments:

Nat said...

Are you sure it was a bay leaf? Was there a ficus tree nearby? It might have been a ficus leaf. Make sure it wasn't a ficus leaf. Otherwise call 911 or 411 or whatever you are supposed to call. That restaurant should be shut down!

3dogcache said...

not a ficus tree in sight!